Installing System Center Orchestrator 2012 R2 Step by Step
In IT environment, we perform many day to day tasks to keep the health of our computing environment updated and avoid any interruption.
Sometimes we feel that we should automate those day to day tasks so we can save some time and avoid any human error. But how?
To fulfill this automation requirement System Center Orchestrator is the best available tool which can carry out following tasks:
- Automate processes in your data center, regardless of hardware or platform.
- Automate your IT operations and standardize best practices to improve operational efficiency.
- Connect different systems from different vendors without having to know how to use scripting and programming languages.
System Center Orchestrator 2012 R2 is very easy to setup and deploy however make sure you fulfill below prerequisites before starting the installation (Single Server Deployment):
Operating System and Hardware
- Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2
- Minimum 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM, 2 GB or more recommended
- 200 megabyte (MB) of available hard disk space
- Dual-core Intel microprocessor, 2.1 gigahertz (GHz) or better
- SQL Server 2008 R2 or Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Orchestrator requires only the basic SQL Server features found in the Database Engine Service.
- Orchestrator supports SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS for collation.
- Management servers and runbook servers installed on the same computer must use the same database
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (With WCF HTTP Activation)
I recommend you should refer below TechNet documentation which will help you understand the System Center Orchestrator system requirements and deployment process:
So, let’s start the installation:
Installing SQL Server
Start the installation by installing supported version of SQL Server. Please refer below article which describes installation of SQL Server installation:
Since SQL Server installation for Orchestrator is straight forward, you just need to take care of below:
1: Under Feature Selection, select below:
- Database Engine Services
- Management Tools – Basic and Complete (For running the queries and SQL services Configuration)
2: On the Collation Tab, select below:
Once SQL Server installation completes, we are good to go for the Orchestrator installation.
You can download Orchestrator 2012 R2 from TechNet Evaluation Center.
1: Right click the SC2012_R2_SCO.exe file and select Run as administrator.
2: Select Yes option under User Account Control window.
3: Click Next button.
4: Provide the path to extract the Orchestrator setup files and click Next.
5: Click Extract button.
Remember the destination location as we will be running the Orchestrator setup from that location.
6: It will take few seconds to extract the files. Click Finish button.
7: Open the folder under which Orchestrator setup files were extracted.
8: Right click SetupOrchestrator.exe and select Run as administrator.
9: Select Yes under User Account Control window.
10: Select Install option to start the installation.
11: Provide Product registration information and click Next.
12: Select I accept the license terms option and click Next.
13: Select all the features and click Next.
Wait for the Prerequisites check to complete. It will take few seconds.
14: Provide the account to use to runbooks and access remote system resources.
15: Click on Test button, you must get Credentials accepted message.
Note: This account must have Log on as a service rights enabled.
16: Click Next to continue.
17: Provide database server instance name and click Test Database Connection option.
The test must succeed.
18: Click Next to continue.
19: Specify the database name and click Next.
You can either choose the default database name Orchestrator or provide the database name as per your convenience.
20: Enter the user group or select the default one and click Next.
21: Leave the ports to defaults and click Next.
22: Select the installation location and click Next.
23: Select appropriate option and click Next.
24: Click Install button.
Installation may take few minutes to complete. Click Close button to Close the Setup wizard and launch Runbook Designer.
You can design your Runbooks here and automate the tasks.
You can download the System Center Integration Packs here:
Will show you how to deploy Integration Pack in Orchestrator in my next article.
Hope this helps.